How To Prepare A Long-Distance Move
If you’re planning a long-distance move, there are few things more important than packing for the move. You need to think about not just what you will be bringing but also the mode of transportation you will use and the specific items that must be kept. Most people plan their moves using a commercial moving service. However, if you prefer to do it on your own you should read on to get a good deal on packing supplies.
If you have never shipped anything in a long distance before there is some extra prep work that you will have to do. That prep work includes:
Getting All Your Bills Ready
When packing for a long-distance move, you will probably need to start packing around two months to one year before the actual move date. You should get an exact amount of cash and other bills so you know what your move will cost you. Some people like to budget three months before the move to ensure that they have enough money for it. Be sure to pay all your credit cards and any other bills as well so nothing falls through the cracks and you don’t have to scramble to catch up.
Be Organized With Your Packing And How To Pack Clothes
When you prepare a long distance move there are a lot of things that are different from the smaller moves we do.
- We all know that it is important to pack our most important items first so that they will be easy to find when you need them.
- This also applies to your possessions. Items like jewelry and appliances must be packed very carefully or they can break during the move.
- For these reasons, many people prefer to hire professional movers when they move a long distance. You don’t want your clothes to weigh you down.
- This can be a big problem, especially if you are moving overseas.
- Instead you should focus on packing heavier items such as shoes, sweaters and socks.
- When it comes to clothing you should have at least one pair of clothing for each day of the long-distance move.
- One of the best ways to ensure that your long distance move goes smoothly is to trust the expertise of a professional moving company. These companies have the experience and manpower to get your possessions where they need to be.
- If you don’t know much about moving companies then one of the best ways to find out is to ask people you know who have used them in the past.
- You can also read reviews of these companies on the internet to learn more about what to expect from them.
- There is no reason to worry about packing for a long distance move if you choose to go the route of a professional mover.
- They will pack everything for you and use packing materials that are designed to keep your things safe and secure.
A purge in any type of moving situation is the act of cleaning out the old belongings and replacing them with new ones as you are trying to make your move as smooth as possible. This cleaning process can take a lot of time, and you may want to hire a professional company to get the job done for you or arrange to have a company come in and do the work for you. Either way, you should know what you are doing so that you don’t hurt yourself or anyone else while you try to make a move of this nature.
- Before you even begin, you need to know exactly how much space you have to work with. If there is a lot of unused space, then it will take longer to clear out and move all of the old items into the new place.
- Also, if you know that there is no free space, then you might have to get rid of items that will just be taking up room anyway, especially if they are very large items like furniture or appliances.
- The company you are hiring for the long distance move is responsible for determining the size and weight of each item and figuring out what will need to be moved first and how many.
- Once you have determined how much space is available, you need to know where everything needs to go before you can even start.
- Start with rooms that you know are not going to be used much, like the attic or basement.
- If you are not sure where this is, ask the company for help or ask other people who have been through a long distance move.
- Once you have a clear space to work with, start unloading boxes one at a time.
- Once you have emptied every box, you can clean out the area you cleared and start putting things back in that space.
Pack Your long-haul boxes
As with any type of packing material, the packing material you use should be specifically designed for long moves. This means that it is thick enough, yet lightweight enough so that it is easy to move. Additionally, there should be enough space to pack all of your belongings and enough room for Wheeling them around. The packing material used should also help to keep things warm during the cold months of the move when you are packing.
There are several options available when you are looking for boxes to use while you are preparing a long distance move.
- For starters, you can buy some heavy duty plastic wheeled boxes that will give you extra packing space as well as extra support for your items.
- These boxes may cost more than regular boxes, but they will keep everything in place and protect them from damage during the long trip.
- Furthermore, they are very sturdy and reliable.
- If you prefer to buy wheeled packing material, then you can buy heavy duty boxes at a local hardware store.
- They will provide excellent padding for the moving and hauling, and will provide a top-quality box that will protect your items from damage during the long trip.
- If you have a long car trip planned, then buying wheels is an excellent idea.
- You can save money by not having to buy a second box once you get home, and you can make long distance moves easier and faster by using wheels.
This option will make sure that your long distance move goes smoothly and you can rest easy knowing that you have taken all of the precautions to protect your possessions.
Budget And Plan Your Trip
If you are doing an interstate long distance move, there are many things you need to consider and to be prepared for, the most important one is how you will get all your possessions to your new home in the new state or city. If you have to drive for many miles, you need to consider how you will get all the things loaded into your car so that you can drive it with all the household items inside it.
- It is important to have a good idea or a rough estimate of the cost of the long distance move.
- Do not just simply accept the offer that your new landlord or apartment building will give you for paying the rent.
- Take time to work out a realistic budget based on the current situation.
- Also, make sure that you have the financial capability to cover all the costs involved in the move.
- A good budget should also take into account such expenses as apartment rental payments, travel expenses, house cleaning, appliances and car repairs.
- Make sure that all your bills for the move are paid up to date before you leave for your new home. It is very easy for any bill to go out of date when you are not paying it regularly. This can be very devastating for many people. To avoid this situation, you need to make sure that you include all the bills from your long distance move into your monthly budget. You can also include telephone and utility bills in the budget as well.
Keep Portable Storage Handy
If you are preparing to move across the country or just moved across town, you may find that there is no good place to store all of your goods. There may be no garage in your new house that will accommodate all of your moving boxes and the heavy items you have. That’s when you will want to look at using portable storage as an alternative. You will be able to take advantage of portable storage while you prepare a long distance move.
- These types of units come in a variety of sizes so finding one that will fit all of your moving material should not be a problem.
- In most cases you will pay less money for this type of storage as well.
- The best part about using a storage facility for your move is that it can help to protect your personal items, your household furnishings and even your clothing.
- This is something that you will appreciate having after a move since your items will be safe from getting damaged.
- In fact, there are many reasons to consider using portable storage when you prepare a long distance move.
- You will be able to take advantage of these benefits when you are ready to unload your belongings.
- Whether you use a local moving company or if you decide to do the move all by yourself, this is a piece of equipment that you will need to plan ahead.
- Using portable storage will allow you to get the results that you are looking for while saving money and taking advantage of the convenience.
Do Your Homework
While some people are lucky enough to have the kind of money and connections that allow them to simply pack up and move their house whenever they want, for many people the stress and uncertainty of moving a long distance can be more than they can handle. For this reason, many people who are going through a long distance move will choose to go the extra mile in order to make sure that their home is fully prepared for the long period of time it will be away from home.
- Many movers offer free and no obligation estimates and can help their customers to set up an alternative address that can function as their new home.
- These services also often offer packing supplies so that your home is ready for when you arrive, as well as a temporary storage facility so that everything is kept in one area.
- If you have children, then a move is probably not the best time for them to be spending time indoors.
- It is always important to keep them out of harm’s way during any type of move, and it can help to keep them busy in the few days leading up to your move while you are away.
- One of the best ways to ensure that your belongings are all together in one location is to use a moving service that offers a temporary storage facility.
- Many companies are happy to let you store your items at this facility until you need to bring them home.
- You may also find that you can get discounts and other privileges from such companies if you use them for your long distance move.
- Moving services offer many options for those who want to ensure that their belongings will be safe and sound when they head out of town.
Investigate Your Move-In Situation
You may be tempted to procrastinate and hope that nothing bad will happen while you are away from your new home, but nothing is worse than the stress of not being able to fully enjoy your new home when it is several weeks away.
- You should also investigate your move-in condition with a representative from your new home insurance company to ensure that no gaps in coverage exist, that your homeowner’s policy adequately covers short-term obligations, and to make sure that there are no misunderstandings between you and your move-in roommate about what kind of coverage you need.
- If you are moving across state lines, you should consult with your home state’s department of insurance.
- When you first move in with your move-in roommate, you should discuss the rules of the house in which you will be living so that you know exactly what you are signing.
- In addition, you should find out if you can acquire homeowner’s insurance while living in the same house.
- It is never advisable to rent a place for the long term without the knowledge and consent of your landlord or owner. Therefore, do some research and be clear about what your expectations are.
- You should document every move-in violation, as you come across it.
- Write down the dates and the names of everyone who was present at the move-in.
- Write down details about how much each problem occurred, whether it was resolved in a reasonable amount of time, and what the next steps were.
- Also, if you notice any damage that you believe may have been done to your home before you moved in, do not hesitate to take action.
Be Aware Of Your Delivery Window
While you prepare for a long distance move, it’s likely that you’ll run into unexpected problems along the way. It’s easy to get stuck in traffic, forget to pack your essentials, or even make a simple miscalculation when packing things. However, these types of errors can be minimized when you plan ahead of time. If you know the day and time of your delivery, you’ll be able to look over your belongings and organize them properly. In addition, if you have a local post office that you can use, you’ll be able to mail all your items to the correct place, which can help speed up the process as well.
- Many people who are preparing a long distance move will also want to know when they should start packing.
- While there are no set rules regarding what you should do before your move, many people choose to put all of their most important items at the front of their moving truck so that everything is nearby.
- When it comes to packing, you should put items that you use on a regular basis in the same location in case you need them.
- You’ll also want to ensure that you store any documents for your long distance move in a safe place so that you don’t have to worry about retrieving them later.
Schedule Long-Distance Moving in Adelaide with our Moving agency
A long distance can be a very stressful task. This type of move involves long distance, the need to be able to pack up your possessions in one piece and make sure that they are all in their rightful places.
Hiring our moving company in Adelaide to do this for you is a great option if you have never done it before. It is important to make sure that you find our moving company that is reliable, well organized, professional and has appropriate arrangements to meet your needs. This will help to keep you stress free when your belongings finally arrive in Adelaide.
We have our trained professionals. All you have to do is give us a call at 1800 957 849 and they will come and pick up your belongings from your home or office.
You also may want to take into consideration any weather delays or disruptions that may occur along the way. This is something that a good moving company like ours in Adelaide can help you take care of.